The Philippine Football Federation (PFF), in partnership with Federation International de Football Association (FIFA), conducted a FIFA Elite Youth Coaching Course at the new PFF National Training Centre at the San Lazaro Leisure Park Club in Carmona, Cavite.
21 B-licensed coaches participated in the course that ended on Friday, October 13, 2017. Among the participants are Philippine Men’s National Football Team Assistant Coach and former Azkals skipper Chieffy Caligdong, U-15 Girls’ Assistant Coach and former National Team player Marielle Benitez and PFF Board Member and Misamis Oriental Camiguin-Gingoog El Salvador Cagayan de Oro Football Association president Percy Guarin.
FIFA consultant Mohamed Basir, who is the Coaching Education Head of the Football Association of Singapore was the instructor, assisted by PFF Grassroots Officer head Ake Pastoral.
“The course intends to provide new approaches and methodologies to training youth players by providing a strong, positive learning environment by the youth coaches,” said Basir.
The veteran coaching educator, and a former deputy technical director of the AFC, added that the focus of the course is “on the ‘how’ of coaching rather than just on the ‘what.’” Basir said, “The coaches are provided with information and the best practices for them to take away.”
The Philippine Football Federation has been organizing the elite youth coaching course yearly since 2013.
“Attending this coaching course is a great way to learn new knowledge and trends in elite youth coaching as well as learn from the experiences of other coaches,” said Marielle Benitez. “It’ll definitely help me become a better coach and improve my approach in developing youth players.”
The course is composed of lectures and practical sessions wherein the participant-coaches are asked to do physically strenuous drills. “They have been very responsive, interactive and confident,” Basir said of his students. “It has been a good experience so far with them.”
Misamis Oriental Camiguin-Gingoog El Salvador Cagayan de Oro FA President Percy Guarin, meanwhile, expressed appreciation for the course and commended Mr. Basir’s effort to contextualize it for the Philippine setting.
“He is able to grasp the realities of Philippine football through interaction with the participants, asking the right questions and guiding us into giving critical answers to realize our individual roles,” said Guarin. “He places emphasis on creating a training philosophy suited to our respective teams and clubs.”
- Adolfo Alex – Davao RFA
- Bariñan, Rose – Central Visayas FA
- Bejemino, Jade – NCR FA
- Benitez, Marielle – PHI Girls U15 Head Coach
- Besa, Alberto – Former PHI Futsal Team Player
- Biñas, Kevin – NCRFA
- Caligdong Emelio – Panay RFA / Former PHI National Team Player
- Delos Reyes, Rachelle – Davao RFA / Former PHI Football Team Player
- Escoltero, Tommy – Iloilo FA
- Fabroada, Zeus – Laguna – Cavite RFA
- Ferrer, John – Central Visayas FA
- Francisco, Mark Anthony – Central Luzon RFA
- Guarin, Percy – Misamis Oriental Camiguin-Gingoog El Salvador Cagayan de Oro FA / Former PHI Football Team Player
- Javellana, David – Negros Occidental FA
- Laranas, Wilhelm – NCRFA
- Liao, Michael – NCRFA
- Napana, Constancio Jr. – Butuan-Agusan del Norte FA
- Pareja, Ronald – Butuan-Agusan del Norte FA
- Soliman, Arvin – Laguna – Cavite RFA
- Villarino, Joseph – Negros Occidental FA / Former PHI Football Team Player
- Yu, Shaun Michael – Eastern Visayas RFA